Thursday, January 22, 2015

Spring Hill Fishing Club
Freshwater Fishing for Black Bass
Introduction of Blog on January 16, 2015

We lived at Brainerd, Minnesota for about ten years.  It was there that I picked up the love of bass fishing.  I was a charter member of the Baxter Bass Snatchers club and fished bass tournaments all those years.  Here is an early picture of those days.


I spent a lot of time on the water with Bill Bailey, also Conrad Bye.  Brainerd was, and is, the home of the In Fisherman group, famous for their educational fishing materials and TV programs.  Al and Ron Lindner were frequent speakers at our winter bass club meetings.  Here is a picture of Bill and myself showing off a big Minnesota bass.



I won a lot of trophies in those years at Brainerd.  This one came from Pelican Lake near Ashby, Minnesota.  My grandfather loved that lake and took me there often when I was a kid.


Here are the three amigos, Bill, Gene, and Conrad.


Long-time friend Jerry Hanson and I have fished together for years.  We taught his son Brett to fish.  Here we are standing next to my Ranger Boat.  It was my second Ranger boat.


I attribute my love of fishing to my grandfather, Austin Estensen.  The trips to Canada, in particular, made a strong impression on me.  Indeed, here is the earliest picture of me with a fishing pole, with my grandfather.


 The few pictures that I have of him are generally centered on fishing.  Here is Gramps with grandmother.


 Here is Gramps with my mother (right) and aunt (Darlene).


And here we are in Canada.  Left to right in back row are Gramps, Dad, Me, and cousin Rob.  Cousins Larry and Jerry are in front row.  Thanks Gramps!


Growing up in Minnesota, surrounded by lakes, was great.  I especially like September in Minnesota when it looks like this.  Here is Mission Lake in September.





 And Crooked Lake near Garrison, Minnesota.




No comments:

Post a Comment